With Ben Lam equaling the record for most tries scored in a Super Rugby match last weekend
(Hurricanes vs Rebels), we take a look at who he joins as part of the Super Rugby Four-Tries Club, the few who have scored four tries in a match since the beginning of Super 12 in 1996.
- Joe Roff (Brumbies) was the inaugural member of the Super Rugby Four-Tries Club when he scored four tries versus the Sharks on 29 March, 1996.
- Almost a year later, on 8 March 1997, Gavin Lawless who incidentally was playing for the Sharks scored four tries against the Highlanders.
- Another Sharks player, Stefan Terblanche scored four tries on 25 April 1998 against Chiefs.
- Blues player Joeli Vidiri crossed the line four tries against the Bulls some two years later on 22 April 2000.
- The charismatic Blues’ Doug Howlett scored four tries playing the Hurricanes 22 February 2002.
- And Mils Muliaina rounds up the hattrick of Blues players scoring four tries against the Bulls just a couple of months later on 19 April 2002.
- Crusaders’ Caleb Ralph scored four tries against the Waratahs a month later on 11 May 2002.
- The first Chiefs to join this elite club of sorts was Sitiveni Sivivatu, scoring four tries against the Blues on 21 March 2009 (almost seven years after Caleb Ralph!)
- A year later however, Waratahs Drew Mitchell picked up the momentum by scoring four tries against the Lions on 12 March 2010.
- Just one day shy of one year later, on 11 March 2011, Crusader Sean Maitland crossed the line four times against the Brumbies.
- Another Chiefs joined the club when Asaeli Tikoirotuma scored four tries against the Blues on 2 June 2012.
- Almost four years later, it was another Chiefs player, Charlie Ngatai who scored four against the Western Force on 26 March 2016.
- Stormers Huw Jones scored four tries a few months later against the Kings, on 16 July 2016.
- Lions star winger Courtnall Skosan scored four tries against the Reds on 18 March 2017, and of course the latest player to achieve this feat.
- Ben Lam scores four tries against The Melbourne Rebels on 30 March 2018.
Fifteen players have achieved the feat of scoring four tries in a Super Rugby match… who will be next?